Coconut oil is fast gaining a reputation as one of the healthiest oils on the planet, once shunned as an unhealthy form of saturated fat, thought to cause heart disease, many new studies are showing the complete opposite and uncovering some incredible health benefits of consuming and using coconut oil.
The majority of the saturated fat in coconut oil is in the form of lauric acid, which is why many consider it to be a healthier choice than other fat sources. There are studies that show that lauric acid can increase your HDL or “healthy” cholesterol and lower your LDL or “lethal” cholesterol.
Pure coconut oil is made up of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are easily metabolized by the body, instead of being absorbed as fat, they are available for the body to use as a source of energy, therefore it is thought that coconut oil can actually help with weight loss.
Coconut oil just may be the most versatile oil ever discovered… Here are some wonderful ways to use coconut oil…
1) For skin care – Coconut oil is a perfect natural skin cream and treatment. It is quickly absorbed by the skin and surprisingly, doesn’t leave the skin feeling oily. One jar of coconut oil can be kept in the bathroom and used as a facial oil, body lotion, massage oil, oil pulling and even as a toothpaste.
2) Oil pulling – this ancient practice is thought to help remove toxins from the body, freshen the breath, whiten teeth and help with overall mouth hygiene. Just by taking a spoonful of coconut oil and swishing it around the mouth for up to 20 minutes can bring on these benefits and more!
3) Hair Care – Coconut oil is wonderful for making a natural hair treatment mask. Just a few tablespoons of coconut oil massaged through the hair helps heal a dry scalp and bring lustre and shine to the hair – leave in for a few hours then rinse off with warm water.
4) For cooking – Coconut oil has a high smoke point, so it won’t burn or produce free-radicals like some other oils when heated, it can be used in place of butter and other cooking oils and also give a lovely taste to the food. It also makes a wonderful addition to desserts and sweet snacks as it is a liquid when warm and hardens to a solid form when cooled – perfect for raw dessert treats!
5) For Smoothies and Juices: Coconut oil is a delicious addition to any fresh juice smoothie. The good fats are a wonderful healthy addition to a smoothie and it adds a beautiful creamy taste.
6) As a Sunscreen: Many commercial sunscreens contain toxic chemicals, but coconut oil is a mild natural sunscreen with a protection factor of about 4 – it has been used by traditional island communities for hundreds of years.
I hope you enjoy trying these ideas and discovering the many benefits of adding pure, natural coconut oil to your daily routine.